[LUG] Distros by the dozen

I had a computer go down recently so managed to get planning permission for
new bits.  I got an Athlon II 3600 with DDR3 RAM, new mother board and a nice
big disc.  I had some minor problems (only 1 ps2 socket so had to buy a USB
mouse) but then came the hard work.

I installed my usual Mepis distro.... which didn't work!  I tried PCLinuxOS,
and Linux Mint, all of which didn't work, which in the end turned out to be a
problem with the distros handling the Raydeon ATA graphics embedded in the
motherboard.  I installed a spare Nvidea graphics card and my problems were
over.  I guess I knew about ATA problems before but I didn't give it a
thought as they hadn't been my problems.  I think there is going to be
support for Raydeon in version 30 of the kernel and I will give it another
try then meanwhile a couple of things from this excercise may be useful.

The Mepis distro is essentially a 1 man band, a guy called Warren Woodford.
It has given me good service over the years but he now seems to be more
interested in turning the distro into a business and with the result that
service for personnal use is getting decidedly flakey.  I have been
contemplating a move for a while.

I couldn't get the Mint distro to find my ethernet connection.  It seems to
hide the basic workings in the gui and I couldn't be bothered to hunt them
down.  I also am not an admirer of Ubuntu as a user (but contrarily an
admirer of Mark Shuttleworth). (Mint is Ubuntu derivative)

I've installed PCLinuxOS for a friend and she's had it running happily for a
couple of years so I went with this.  Everything went smoothly and I was able
to setup my network easily from the gui (fixed addresses for my 2 computers
networked on NFS) so I may stick with it.  I'll see how Unison and Virtual
Box goes.

If I hadn't had 2 computers so that I could get info I would have been
stuffed.  Don't knock it when some poor sod with Windows on his only computer
can't get Linux working.

OK, OK, I could have installed Debian and closeted myself away for a month to
get it working, but perhaps next week, eh?

George