Re: [LUG] Anyone have a 3G USB Dongle that can be borrowed while switching ISP/network?

2009/9/18 Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 22:18:43 +0100 (BST)
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Max Siegieda wrote:
>>
>> > I meant re-assuring words about the switchover being quick... and
>> > I'm not too bothered about how good or bad they are, because
>> > they're the best around here and so long as they dont do anything
>> > really bad such as block all ports other than 80, i'm fine. Dad'd
>> > probably be fine even with every other port blocked.
>>
>> I don't know any ISP that blocks ports other than outgoing 25 (BT,
>> AOL, Orange?)
>>
>> Gordon
>
> Depending on what Internet tariff you've signed up with, 3 will either
> block certain ports or whack you with a higher rate per MB if you
> choose to try.  For example, if you sign up for the "mobile email"
> tariff on your phone, and then try browsing you may well get whacked.
> If you "tether" your phone, you may get whacked.  Etc, etc.
>
> Grant.
>
> --

3 don't block any ports, although I've heard they redirect SMTP (may
even be from here).

This is with both the £5 phone addon and £10 1GB addon, using the
3internet APN (you even get a public IP) and I don't think I've had
any problems with three.co.uk either.

Shaun