Re: [LUG] windows 7 vs Linux

Vivi Griffin wrote:
2009/9/18 Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:zleap@xxxxxxxxx>>

    Hi

    Just wondered if we could between us come up with a new column for
    Linux
    to go with this table to produce a comparison between Linux and
    windows
    7,  this may help members who want to argue for Linux.

    for example catagories for

    remote desktop - yes (esp if you include the command line)
    encrypting file system - i guess yes again

    but for each of the catagories.

    This is NOT about bashing microsoft, i want to make a fair
    comparison of
    features,  aero = compiz for example.  yes it may be pointless eye
    candy
    but it's eye candy all the same, so we can include it.

    lets make a table up, and see if we can help people make
    comparisons, so
    if a windows user cites a certain feature we can at least suggest a
    similar feature under Linux

    Paul
    These are the ones I use / Know of :

    OS  Windows         Linux
    CD Burning  Nero    K3B
    Accounts    MS Money        Moneydance
    Browser     IE      Firefox
    Email       Outlook         Evolution
    Remote Working      Terminal Server         RDP
    Anti-virus  AVG Anti-virus  Nothing!!!
    Firewall    Zone Alarrm     Nothing!!!
    Anti-spyware        Spyware Terminator      Nothing!!!
    Word Processing     Word    Writer
    Spreadsheet         Excel   Calc
    Presentations       Powerpoint      Impress
    Photo Editing       Photoshop       GIMP
    Media Player        Media Player    Kaffeine
    Drawing / Flowcharting      Visio   Draw
    File Zipping        Winzip  Ark

    Viv

I'd say Anti-Virus = ClamScan (or AVG for Linux even).

Also where you mention Deaw, Impress etc, I'd say put OpenOffice in front of it otherwise some people might not know what they are. I could also suggest Dia for Flowcharting.

Rob