Re: [LUG] windows 7 vs Linux

2009/9/18 Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi

Just wondered if we could between us come up with a new column for Linux
to go with this table to produce a comparison between Linux and windows
7,  this may help members who want to argue for Linux.

for example catagories for

remote desktop - yes (esp if you include the command line)
encrypting file system - i guess yes again

but for each of the catagories.

This is NOT about bashing microsoft, i want to make a fair comparison of
features,  aero = compiz for example.  yes it may be pointless eye candy
but it's eye candy all the same, so we can include it.

lets make a table up, and see if we can help people make comparisons, so
if a windows user cites a certain feature we can at least suggest a
similar feature under Linux

Paul
These are the ones I use / Know of :

OS Windows Linux
CD Burning Nero K3B
Accounts MS Money Moneydance
Browser IE Firefox
Email Outlook Evolution
Remote Working Terminal Server RDP
Anti-virus AVG Anti-virus Nothing!!!
Firewall Zone Alarrm Nothing!!!
Anti-spyware Spyware Terminator Nothing!!!
Word Processing Word Writer
Spreadsheet Excel Calc
Presentations Powerpoint Impress
Photo Editing Photoshop GIMP
Media Player Media Player Kaffeine
Drawing / Flowcharting Visio Draw
File Zipping Winzip Ark
OS Windows Linux
CD Burning Nero K3B
Accounts MS Money Moneydance
Browser IE Firefox
Email Outlook Evolution
Remote Working Terminal Server RDP
Anti-virus AVG Anti-virus Nothing!!!
Firewall Zone Alarrm Nothing!!!
Anti-spyware Spyware Terminator Nothing!!!
Word Processing Word Writer
Spreadsheet Excel Calc
Presentations Powerpoint Impress
Photo Editing Photoshop GIMP