Re: [LUG] Upgrade from to Ubuntu 9.04

On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 16:01 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:47:21 +0100
> > Martin Gautier wrote:

It is my understanding that upgrades only work if one is going to the
next release and that while jumping a couple of releases may be possible
it may cause lots of problems.

I always reckon it's better to back up /home, do a clean install of the
new version and then replace the new home directory with the backup. A
little more work re-installing things, but it does give you an
opportunity to get rid of all the apps (if you're like me) that have
been installed just to see what they looked like, but are never used.

On trying out all those sexy distros that come with linux format I'd go
for installing them as virtual machines using virtual box. Much less
chance of snafuing ones settings.

Simon