Re: [LUG] Upgrading from previous versions of Ubuntu

Rob Beard wrote:

> I must admit going on upgrading from 9.04 to the Alpha(?) of Ubuntu
> 9.10, I did wonder if it might be quicker to wipe / and just reinstall
> telling it to use my existing /home (but then I guess I'd have to add
> back all the other applications).

Applications are easy, just use "dpkg --get-selections"

Settings are harder to preserve, I've never tried debconf-get-selections
but it is recommended only for identical installs which different
versions aren't.

> I can see benefits to both methods.

I'd be doubtful of multiple upgrades. I've done a couple of versions of
Debian on boxes to save the time reconfiguring complex set-up, but it
was pretty marginal and you end up retrofitting settings in certain old
configuration files.