Re: [LUG] Network Switches

Richard Brown wrote:
Hi All

Can switches be responsible for network bottlenecks please? I
understood that some switches can handle only a certain amount of
transfer. So if I have 15 computers all using the network at the same
time I am concerned that that could cause a bottleneck in the router.
Hi Richard,

One quick question - what speed is the network? Do you have a mix of 100/1000 accessing the system? e.g. the switch may be 1000 and the PCs and/or NAS only capable of handling 100?[1] That would cause a bottleneck with the PCs throwing data at the NAS box faster than it can handle it. A similar thing happened where I used to work in a TS callcentre with ~300 PCs in use. Some bright spark decided to upgrade the routers, however we were then throwing data and requests at the server faster than it could respond - net result actually *slowing* the system.

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] Conversely the PCs might have gigabit network cards lobbing data at a 10/100 switch faster than it can handle.