Re: [LUG] Network Switches

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Rob Beard wrote:

This is what we did with the LTSP project in Exwick. The server has a 1Gbit port connected to a 1Gbit switch, each client (6 in total) connect to the server at 100Mbit, so each machine should get a full 100Mbit to the server.

FWIW: I've made some biggish network out of 100Mb switches - one over 400 PCs. Rarely did we find the physical network was an issue - mostly it was underpowered servers. A modern (2006+) server ought to be able to fully saturate 100Mb though, however a 100Mb network shoulf still be fast enough for most small office needs.

A local school where I installed a phone system has what I might consider the worst network ever - they have about 12 desks with switches daisy-chained together, phones used a switches (2 port) and network links, a right dendrite mess of it all - yet it works very well for them. (mostly thin clients booting edubuntu from what I could tell - with 2 Windows PCs running Sage - data held on a central Linux server)

But if your problem is a slow internet connection speed over 15 machines then

I don't think that's his issue here...

Gordon