Re: [LUG] Favourite web-based something-managers?

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick round-up really.  I'm looking to add various features to
> my webserver to make my life easier.  I was wondering what you peeps use
> for the following:
>
> + Bookmark management
>
> I'm currently using Google's bookmark thingy (with the iGoogle gadget)
> but I'm not particularly impressed with it - it seems that unless I use
> the Google Toolbar, adding new bookmarks is quite arduous.  I have
> installed Sitebar but, again, I'm not impressed with it - it looks
> awful and, again, unless I add the bookmarklet to every browser I'm
> going to come in contact with, adding new bookmarks seems tedious.
>
> Ideally I'd like something where I can copy a URL/URI, open a new tab
> and go to http://mysite/bookmarks, paste in the copied URL/URI into a
> big bar at the top of the page and click add - it'll then do the magic
> of getting the page title, favicon, etc, and saving it to a list. Being
> able to manage the bookmarks at a later stage (putting them into a
> hierarchy of folders, say) would be good, but is not vital.
>
> I'd like to run this on my own server rather than subscribing to some
> other "online bookmark service".  The vast majority of things I've come
> across either seem to be standalone applications or require an extra
> application or toolbar to do anything useful.  Sitebar seems to be the
> closest I've come across, but it's so ugly! :D
>
> + Password management
>
> I'd like to be able to login to a web-based password manager on my
> server.  Once logged in, being able to search/browse for things
> and having the passwords hidden unless I type in a "master" password.
>
> As above, I'd like to run this on my own machine rather than trust my
> data to someone else by subscribing to an "online password service".
>
> I'm sure there are other things I'd like to be doing as well, and
> if/when I think of them I'll add them to this.
>
> Cheers.
> Grant. :)

Could you add it to the Wiki please.  This is current a software
section, so I would guess you can add a web-based catagory and list
under that.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Meetings 1st Saturday of the month - Shoreline, Paignton from 3pm
Software freedom day 2009 - Saturday 19th September 2009