Re: [LUG] Pigeon beats ISP for data transfer...

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 10:45:41 +0100
Rob Beard wrote:
> tom wrote:
> > I would imagine in Africa in general they havent yet succumbed to
> > the data-decompression techniques so beloved of marketing in this
> > country that means a 2k info exchange requires 64meg BB and a very
> > powerful media-pc to watch a flash of something when all you really
> > wanted was to find out how much a widget cost.
> >
> Well at the moment I'm fixing an e-mail issue for a customer using
> SSH, I dare say it would work happily over my mobile GPRS connection
> (although I find that I prefer to use a bigger keyboard than what my
> mobile offers).  I would have said real keyboard, but um... I don't
> have one of those original IBM keyboards.

Can you not "tether" your phone to your computer with either a USB
cable or Bluetooth?  I've even used the God-awful Java-based LogMeIn
client tool on my mobile (currently a Nokia N95-1) - grantedly I was
glad I was in Truro at the time as we have a pretty good 3G signal in
Truro and I really wouldn't want to do that over a GPRS/EDGE
connection.  */me shudders at the thought*

Grant.