Re: [LUG] Bandwidth monitoring script

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> If you're reading the counters yourself, be aware that they're 32-bit and
> will wrap at some point, so you need to be able to cater for that.

This isn't really relevant when the scripts compares the values to
those of a second ago, is it?

(And yes, I do want stats to the second; some of the programs/machines
running on the LAN are sensitive to minor disruptions in network
connectivity.)

Am I right to assume that, if the difference in RX bytes (as seen by
ifconfig) for one network over a given period of time is, say, 1024,
then 1 kB of traffic has been received by that network connection? In
particular, does this include traffic that goes through the machine?

Thanks.

Martijn.