Re: [LUG] data center

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Edwin Rhodes wrote:

hi does anyone know of a local data center where i can have my own server setup? rather than renting one of their systems? thanks ed.

Wasn't there some list discussion about "local" DC's recently?

Might be nice to keep a list somewhere... (e.g. the Wiki...)

SWISP in Sowton have one, although it's rather expensive, I'm told. I recall that they don't allow punters access to their actual server room, but will either give you screen & keyboard on long leads, or bring it outside the room for you...

Zynet in Exeter ...

Anyone want to fill in more?

A google for

  server hosting devon cornwall

has returned a surprising number of hits too....

I host my servers in Sheffield - not the most convenient of locations, but I've known the people who run the facility for many years now..

I will say - if you've not co-lo'd a server before, build it, then put it in a locked room for 3 months, and see how you get on.... Things to think about are remote access when it dies - BIOS over Serial or server/motherboard remote access card? Remote power cycling? Remote "hands" to push connectors in, etc. ... And enable where you can, every sensor and measurable thing that you have the ability to do so. (Fan speeds, CPU, motherboard and disk temperatures, voltages, etc.) Graph and monitor everything using as much automation as you can.

My 3 year, 8 months uptime server died recently (memory controller failure according to the Dell BIOS beep codes) and I needed "remote hands" to transfer the disks to another server... (Which the DC charge me for on an hourly basis - or I could have driven to Sheffield - it would have cost about the same in petrol, but was much more convenient to have someone up there who I trust move the drive)

Good luck!

Gordon