From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Gordon Henderson
Sent: 04 August 2009 16:09
To: DCGLUG
Subject: Re: [LUG] OT- Freesat-Internet

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, John Hansen wrote:

> I wonder whether it is possible to use the satellite dish to connect
> to the internet and if so how?
> It would perhaps solve the problem of slow connection speed in rural
> areas.
>
> Who knows about such matters?

I know a little - did some research a while back and used some old Arammiska
kit way back too..

These people seemed favourite when I recently looked:

     http://www.avcbroadband.com/

Basic service is £2500 install and £125 a month (512/256Kbps) Prices go up
from there.

One thing you might consider is a faster service shared amongst residents
- that was what I was looking at - there are still some pockets of Devon too
far from the exchange to get ADSL, so a local community project might work
if everyone was prepared to pay a share. Still expensive though!

Latency is high, although relatively fixed, so VoIP can work over it, but
gaming isn't going to work well at all...

Gordon