Re: [LUG] Free BT iPlate thingy ..

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Simon Waters wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, alex mclennan wrote:

So... only free if you already use BT Total Broadband then.

hi all, am i right in assuming that this smacks of restrictive
practices,or have i got it wrong.alex the not so noob

This is BT retail giving them way to their own customers. Not BT
wholesale giving them away to one of their resellers customers, (of
which BT retails is just another reseller from their point of view - in
theory) so from that point of view I don't think it's restrictive.

Although a shade misleading perhaps - as I didn't notice that in the
first place.

It is potentially an issue.

If BT are selling them to their retail ISP arm for less than they would
sell them to a competitor or under different terms.

I'm not sure BT actually make them though - they very probably had a hand in the dsesign though.

They're (iPlates) avalable from a number of places though, not just BT. Wouldn't surprise me if there are now "clones" out there too - as there are for NTE5's, etc. E.g. You can now get independantly made ADSL filtered faceplates for NTE5 sockets..

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

middle of that page - faceplate with bevelled top rather than rounded.

Even if they are selling them at the same price, if that price is the
same as long as it is profitable, BT would be moving the profit from
their retail to their wholesale business. So if BT retail ISP services
make no profit they may be increasing the parent companies viability.
Very complicated these Chinese walls.

Indeed!

Guess one just needs to see what price a bulk order of the iPlate from
BT would be, and under what terms it would be supplied.

One also wonders if you could manufacture your own, or if this would
upset BT....

Others are already manufacturing NET5 equivalents, so it's only a matter of time, if not already.

£7 plus P&P is about the cheapest I've found then online:

http://www.tamarshop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=691&zenid=8df57d9feb3f58c6ec56565fc8e42674

Braodband buyer is £7.80 + P&P

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=7256

Gordon