Re: [LUG] OT: Default Windows 7 styling

Rob Beard wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>>
>> Rob Beard wrote:

>>> I thought that Microsoft were shipping their own basic Anti-Virus
>>> software now?  (something else for them to be taken to court about I guess).
>>>
>>> Rob
>> I remember dos 6.2 coming with MSAV (microsoft anti virus) turnedf out
>> it was actually central point anti virus,  who didn't take too kindly to
>> their software being renamed and sued MS hence they had to relese dos 6.21.
>>
>> can anyone comment or confirm this is what happened.
>>
>> LOl
>>

>> Paul
>>

> Actually I think you'll find it was to do with the Double Space
> technology (disk compression) which infringed on Stac Technology patents
> (the market leader at the time) who had Stacker.  IIRC they released MS
> DOS 6.21 without Double Space and then 6.22 with Drive Space (god knows
> what the difference was).
>
> I do remember playing around with Stacker and compressing my dad's 400MB
> hard drive to something crazy like 2GB, although that was estimated
> compression, actual compression never really got above about 1.3:1.
>
> There's an article on Wikipedia about DriveSpace and DoubleSpace...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoubleSpace
>
> Rob

Ah may be it was that as well,  hence they released dos 6.22.  I
remember the stac thing now you mention it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSAV

is the article, looks like one of the issues with MSAV was that it
thought the update program for win 95 was a virus.

Looks like i got something mixed up. but hey the update = virus thing is
funny

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Meetings 1st Saturday of the month - Shoreline, Paignton from 3pm
Software freedom day 2009 - Saturday 19th September 2009