Re: [LUG] OT: Default Windows 7 styling

Paul Sutton wrote:

Rob Beard wrote:

bas wrote:

Grant Sewell wrote:

Just playing around with Windows 7 since it'll be rolling out soon so
we'll start seeing (and having to support) it.  One thing struck a
funny chord with me... the default styling is excellent!  I don't mean
"wow, isn't that slick" either... the default login screen has a
distinct "drowning" feel to it, and the default wallpaper is fishy!

Anyone else find that Windows 7 has been designed to give the user a
sense of foreboding and dread?

Grant. :D

lol, yes, been playing with it also, love the way that they don't warn
you that there is no anti virus installed like they did with the beta !
bas.

I thought that Microsoft were shipping their own basic Anti-Virus
software now?  (something else for them to be taken to court about I guess).

Rob
I remember dos 6.2 coming with MSAV (microsoft anti virus) turnedf out
it was actually central point anti virus,  who didn't take too kindly to
their software being renamed and sued MS hence they had to relese dos 6.21.

can anyone comment or confirm this is what happened.

LOl

Paul

Actually I think you'll find it was to do with the Double Space technology (disk compression) which infringed on Stac Technology patents (the market leader at the time) who had Stacker.  IIRC they released MS DOS 6.21 without Double Space and then 6.22 with Drive Space (god knows what the difference was).

I do remember playing around with Stacker and compressing my dad's 400MB hard drive to something crazy like 2GB, although that was estimated compression, actual compression never really got above about 1.3:1.

There's an article on Wikipedia about DriveSpace and DoubleSpace... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoubleSpace

Rob