Re: [LUG] Looking at all photos

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> tom wrote:
>> Any of these things do automatic compression?
>> I've just been laughing at people saying that they need 50Meg BB at home
>> and then went to a web site with 'thumbnails' that were 2.8 meg images
>> sized small
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>

> Yes, that is one problem that I have found while looking at this. I have
> not yet found a program which will automatically scale down the photos.
> All I need is a program to transfer the photos, scaled down in size (ie
> number of pixels), which I can *quickly* transfer to an internet site so
> that the wife can look at the photos on her computer.
>
> I think I will probably end up using k3b to transfer them to a CD which
> she can look at on her computer. Also useful as a extra backup.
>
> Neil

I have now looked into digikam some more. There is an export facility
with various choices (file menu). One choice is HTML Gallery. This will
create a set of photos and thumbnails which can then be opened in a
browser. The photos are all scaled down. Some examples ...

A folder of 150.0mb was reduced to 9.2mb. Another had 44.1mb reduced to
2.6mb.

I can them copy the new folder to my web site and give my wife details
of the URL. She can open it up in her browser and see the photos. Nice.

Neil