Re: [LUG] CloneZilla

Rob Beard wrote:
> Dave Foxcroft wrote:
>
>> Not wanting to get a windows based topic going on here but....... just
>> for info
>>
>> If it doesn't work for vista you can always try ImageX - MS's *free*
>> clone tool - I HAVE to work with windows and used to use ghost but now
>> use either ImageX or Acronis for cloning XP/Vista, Ghost has given me
>> problems with some SATA controllers and drives.
>>
>> I've never tried Clonezilla for XP or Vista - I guess the need to
>> sysprep applies to cloning networked XP/Vista PC's
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Thanks for the info Dave, I might give that a try if CloneZilla doesn't
> work.  In this case it was just a straight drive swap but yeah if I was
> cloning a load of PCs then I'd run SysPrep on them before cloning (I
> have distant memories of GhostWalker on NT 4 :-)
>
> I'm thinking though if it works with Vista (and Windows 7) then it could
> be a handy addition to my USB stick (although I'd have to figure out how
> to get it to work alongside Ubuntu on the same stick, a job for another
> day I think).
>
> Rob

I'm involved with setting up a couple of  school networks at the mo' so
I will certainly take a look at it for Windows 7 as this is where they
will be going in the not too distant future - more strings to the bow
etc - thanks for reminding me Clonezilla existed.

BTW - I did try to get them to go for Linux but they aren't interested -
all the *usual* reasons quoted and cost doesn't come into it with
academic licences  approx £50 for MS server 2008 and £2.50 per CAL -
they spend more than that on toner!

Dave