Re: [LUG] linux - first to support usb 3

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, tom wrote:
>

>> In an ideal world maybe - but wifi adjusts the power required and is
>> point to point, USB requires clutter and often hubs/extenders etc.
>> Think carefully - what items can you think of that would require the
>> kind of data rates offered that would be able to use the power from USB
>> cables to run on?
>>

> Wi-Fi wasn't designed to be power adjusting although some newer devices
> seem to be - or can at least have the power levels adjusted. Not that it
> does much really - just shifts the noise margin.
>
> And it's point to multi point rather than point to point...
>
> Don't dismiss data rates though - I know people working on multi Gb

I'm not dissing the data rates - what I'm saying is that almost anything
that runs at that speed will have its own power supply. Additionally USB
effectively means that that device is attached to ONE machine - and if
its shared (and for those data rates it would almost have to be) then
that's probably going over wifi anyway?  So cut out the middle man...
All that blisters...
> wireless kit and applications for it - 21 years ago I helped cable an
> exibition hall with cable "broadband" for a factory automation expo. Data
> rates then were just ~10Mb, but now ... Multiple channels of streaming HD
> video with no compression. Easy access to TB of storage ... etc.

And easy ways of filling it with noise too!
Anyway don't talk to me about data rates - <old rant>in 1989 I worked
for BT high speed chip design group (we did ptat/tat8 etc) and could
have made a 2.4Gb --2.4Gb fibre optic 't' switch - that's fibre in and
fibre out and 2.4Gb ecl in and out,10km drive with 10**-14 error rate
all for about $5US!*
And here I sit with me 512Kb BB six miles from the exchange, erroring in
the rain....</old rant>
Tom te tom te tom

* and about 20 watts but....