Re: [LUG] linux - first to support usb 3

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, tom wrote:

> In an ideal world maybe - but wifi adjusts the power required and is
> point to point, USB requires clutter and often hubs/extenders etc.
> Think carefully - what items can you think of that would require the
> kind of data rates offered that would be able to use the power from USB
> cables to run on?

Wi-Fi wasn't designed to be power adjusting although some newer devices
seem to be - or can at least have the power levels adjusted. Not that it
does much really - just shifts the noise margin.

And it's point to multi point rather than point to point...

Don't dismiss data rates though - I know people working on multi Gb
wireless kit and applications for it - 21 years ago I helped cable an
exibition hall with cable "broadband" for a factory automation expo. Data
rates then were just ~10Mb, but now ... Multiple channels of streaming HD
video with no compression. Easy access to TB of storage ... etc.

Still - we're months away from seeing usb3 silicon yet ...

Gordon