Re: [LUG] OT: Temporary Block User

Rob Beard wrote:
> Richard Brown wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On 20 Jul 2009, at 11:19, Terry Hill wrote:
>>

>>> Is it possible to temporary block a user accessing the internet using
>>> a netgear 834dg please?
>>>
>>> Tell us a bit more Richard, it may help us to hone in on what you
>>> need.
>>>

>> I work at an office where occasionally another bloke brings his son in
>> and promptly dumps in him front of a computer. He is not allowed to
>> access the internet but as soon as his dad's back is turned - he fires
>> up internet grabbing resource hungry stupid flash games.
>>
>> The guy has said dump him off by all means - and I would love to!
>>
>> Rich
>>
> Well with a proxy server (maybe an IPCop box or something like that) you
> could block access to such sites, ideally I guess you could do with
> something running Squidguard or Dansguardian.  That way you could
> specify that games sites are blocked.  Or maybe if you could find out
> what sites they are, add them to the hosts file and point them to 127.0.0.1
>
> I assume it's a Windows XP/Vista box?
>
> In which case the hosts file can be found in
> C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
>
> (assuming Windows is installed on the C: drive).
>
> An example of this which you can use to block the sites is...
>
> 127.0.0.1   www.microsoft.com
>
> Put the destination IP address first, then the web site and then every
> time something requests the site it will point to 127.0.0.1
>
> Rob

the way I see thingsm, if your company policy was to sack you for
accessing inappropriate material,  and YOU left you computer logged in
and went somewhere,  meanwhile someone accessed a porn site via YOUR
account, it is YOUR account and therefor YOU are responsible for what
happens while you are logged in.  You are therefore sacked.   It is YOUR
fault.  Esp if you are told and shown countless times to lock the
sesssion or log out and NOT to allow others to log in or give out your
login and password.

Perhaps the comapny needs such a policy perhaps it exists and needs
enforcing,

clearly you are intending to implement some sort of filtering,  but
perhaps you need to remind his dad of the computer misuse act,  as if
his son tries to get round such measures,  that could be in breach of
the computer misuse act.  and its his dad not hte son who  can be
prosecuted.

what else can he access,  what will happen if a flash game installs a
virus, that steals data,  the company could get sued by the person who
has entrusted them with their data,  or

Perhaps you should look at you computer access policy or acceptable use
policy, and ensure its clear and can cover you.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org
Meetings 1st Saturday of the month - Shoreline, Paignton from 3pm
Software freedom day 2009 - Saturday 19th September 2009