Re: [LUG] Disadvantages of bad password policies and web enabled apps

Paul Sutton wrote:

> Henry Bremridge wrote:

>> In short:
>>
>> - Either an employee or Twitter as a policy matter put their financial
>>   projections etc on google docs. A user with access to these figures
>>   had a bad password for their web email
>>
>> - The users personal email was hacked by guessing the password, and
>>   access obtained to the google docs website
>>
>> Extract from the BBC article
>>
>> The hacker has claimed to have wanted to teach people to be more careful
>> and in a message to the French blog Korben, wrote that his attack could
>> make internet users "conscious that no one is protected on the net."
>>
>> "The security breach exploited "an easy-to-guess password and recovery
>> question, which is one of the simplest ways to make a username and
>> password combination really insecure," said Phil Wainewright of
>> ZDNet.com
>>
>> "Unfortunately, users won't wise up until the cloud providers force them
>> to."
>>
>> In a study last year the security firm Sophos found that 40% of internet
>> users use the same password for every website they access.
>>

> If I register with 10 sitres,  all of which require a password do you
> expect me to remember 10 passwords which are ideally meant to be a
> combination of 8 or more upper / lower case letters and numbers.
>
> I think a lot of people find this hard,  until a system is devised where
>  one can use some sort of secure password,  that can be universal, open
> id, sort of thing perhaps. then this problem will persist,  its easier
> to remember dictionary words.
>
> either that or people simply write their password down on a note pad and
> keep it near the computer, far easier then remembering a password as
> described above.
>
> I think the whole authentication system needs looking at,  rather than
> expecting users to change their habits.
>
> Paul

try this little trick
password = aaaa1111
site - website.com
aaaa1111ebsitecom or websitecoaaa1111 or similar - just remember what youfo

You must remember however that not everyone encrypt password in the
database so once one db is cracked the games up...

I agree the whole authentication needs looking at - trouble is it always
seems to end with IDCards!
GPG authentication anyone....
Tom te tom te tom