Re: [LUG] Disadvantages of bad password policies and web enabled apps

Henry Bremridge wrote:

> In short:
>
> - Either an employee or Twitter as a policy matter put their financial
>   projections etc on google docs. A user with access to these figures
>   had a bad password for their web email
>
> - The users personal email was hacked by guessing the password, and
>   access obtained to the google docs website
>
> Extract from the BBC article
>
> The hacker has claimed to have wanted to teach people to be more careful
> and in a message to the French blog Korben, wrote that his attack could
> make internet users "conscious that no one is protected on the net."
>
> "The security breach exploited "an easy-to-guess password and recovery
> question, which is one of the simplest ways to make a username and
> password combination really insecure," said Phil Wainewright of
> ZDNet.com
>
> "Unfortunately, users won't wise up until the cloud providers force them
> to."
>
> In a study last year the security firm Sophos found that 40% of internet
> users use the same password for every website they access.

If I register with 10 sitres,  all of which require a password do you
expect me to remember 10 passwords which are ideally meant to be a
combination of 8 or more upper / lower case letters and numbers.

I think a lot of people find this hard,  until a system is devised where
 one can use some sort of secure password,  that can be universal, open
id, sort of thing perhaps. then this problem will persist,  its easier
to remember dictionary words.

either that or people simply write their password down on a note pad and
keep it near the computer, far easier then remembering a password as
described above.

I think the whole authentication system needs looking at,  rather than
expecting users to change their habits.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net
Support Open and ISO standard file formats ISO 26300 odf
http://www.odfalliance.org