Re: [LUG] eNum ... Comments?

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Adrian Midgley wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>
>> eNnum for those who don't know is a DNS service which at it's simplest
>> lets you get a URI in return for feeding in a phone number.
>

> Is there CLI provided on these calls?
> Can one configure VOIP clients to provide useful CLI?

In a full-on VoIP to VoIP setup, it's up to the sending station to set
correct and meaningful CLI information. (you have both a number and a name
to send/manipulate) The receiving station either has to trust it, or
ignore it.

The best you have to authenticate/validate on then is the IP address of
the sending station, and if that's your brother on holiday on a round the
world trip, it's going to be hard...

Things are usually different when a sending station connects to an ITSP to
place calls to the PSTN - in that case the ITSP can force outgoing caller
ID, regardless of what the sending station sets. (At least that's how I
operate)

> Could one set up the recieving client so that it applies rules, similar
> in concept to the spamassassin rules for email, to the incoming CLI,
> accepts some, rejects some, records some as voicemail, challenges some
> to pass a Turing test and so on?

Sure... if you trusted the caller ID. Spammers already forge sending email
addresses - no reason why they won't try to do the same with VoIP CIDs..

> I suspect the TPS leglislation would apply to anyone working from or
> paid from within this country, IANAL but I think a judge might say "and
> this is a technology for making telephone calls?"

The few judges (magistrates) I know are fully VoIP aware, but I know what
you mean...

Gordon