Re: [LUG] 0870 numbers ...

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009, Simon Waters wrote:

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> Speaking with my telco hat on - Revenue generated from these numbers will
>> cease on the 1st of August, so if you or your customers have any 0870
>> numbers, beware!
>
> Thanks Gordon,
>
> any change with 0845?

No change to them - for now. I think BT are offering free calls to these,
even though they are revenue generating to the operator - I guess as 95%
of the operators are BT then they can afford it...

Also note that 0871/2/3 numbers fall under the rules of PhonepayPlus as of
the 1st of August too - these are the people who regulate 09 numbers...
Rates to 0871/2/3 numbers vary from very cheap to 10p a minute.

(I'm currently investigating the use of an 0871 10p a call number for a
client right now - it's a bit of a minefield - an 83 page document to
digest for starters!)

> Saw some sad discussions recently that made it clear that most folk have
> fallen for the bait and switch the industry pulled on these, and don't
> realise these are now more expensive than regular phone calls.

Yup. I try to persuade my customers to take regular 01/02 numbers now (or
03, but there is the uncertianty of inbound charges to these right now)

Gordon