Re: [LUG] Finding IP address from Mac address

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> You might want to try the arping command..
>
> So put your box on the LAN, and in one window run tcpdump -n and in
> another arping the MAC address and see if it replies.
>
> Or ping broadcast addresses - set your PC to 192.168.0.1, netmask
> 255.255.0.0 and ping 192.168.0.0, then 192.168.255.255. Then try with PC
> at 10.0.0.1, ping 10.255.255.255 and 10.0.0.0. You need the -b flag to
> ping and need to be root.
>
> Another way might just be to connect PC to router with a cross over cable,
> tun tcpdump on the PC and turn it on - it ought to make a few arp requests
> early on..
>
> Good luck ..
>
> Gordon

Thanks for your advice Gordon, I found the router and changed the
settings.  It's now usable again :-)

It'll save my friend a few quid on buying a new router.

Now while I think about it, I have a Linksys Wireless Access Point which
I attempted an OpenWRT install on, I believe it didn't have enough
memory though so as far as I've got is installing the kernel and booting
it.  There isn't a web interface or anything like that on it.  I did
wonder if anyone fancied trying to get it working again on Saturday?

If so I'll bring it along if I can find the PSU.

Rob