Re: [LUG] Acer Aspire One - cheak on ebuyer..

James Fidell wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>> I paid ?220 for mine a while ago. It is a nice machine. Runs Ubuntu just
>> fine. The 120Gb disk was really 150Gb.
>>
>> Handy notes here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne but mostly
>> works with a vanilla install. Shame about the junk they ship it with
>> though. It is bound to put people off.
>>

> Actually, my wife is very happy with the Linpus install (as are my mum
> and my sister, I believe).  I did have a couple of niggles, one of which
> I haven't resolved yet -- it took a bit of fiddling to get it to see
> samba shares and it doesn't know about the lpd printer protocol.
>
> James

I had trouble getting Linpus to work with a USB wireless modem on a
friend's machine. Lots of trouble. With Ubuntu it worked straight away.
The WiFi drivers need a bit of tweaking, but otherwise it is fine.

It depends what you want it for I suppose. I wanted a small version of
my main laptop, that I could take on trips without weighing too much. I
can do all my usual work on it. If you just want email / browsing,
Linpus probably does a good job.

I've been running the android emulator on mine, which is good going. It
is a bit slow though.