Re: [LUG] Books on databases

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:10 PM, Simon Waters wrote:
> What's the reason for your interest?

Mostly curiosity, combined with the fact that I use databases
regularly for work and I know enough I need to know to do my job, but
not much more. And I quite like to know why certain things work (well)
and others don't work (as well), rather than having read a book that
just told me to believe it. But having read a few things here and
there, I am a bit worried that after reading about how relational
databases really work, I'll end up thinking they're a daft idea in the
first place. :-)

Perhaps I should just dig into TAOCP; I believe Exeter library has the
first two editions. I kind of regret not having done more computer
science when I was at university, but always opted for another
interesting but, in the bigger scheme of things, somewhat pointless
maths module.

Thanks, by the way, to the two people who kindly offered to lend me
their books; seeing as I don't need this urgently -- and am quite
likely to study this stuff in between other things over the course of
many months/years -- I will just try and find a book on Amazon one day
to put here on the shelf and then promise myself to read one day.

Martijn.