Re: [LUG] Lizard LUG?

Paul Sutton wrote:

> sam tarling wrote:
>
>> I mean the Lizard/Helston area... I think it would be a good idea to
>> start up a regular meet.
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Grant Sewell<dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Lizard would be harder for me to get to than Helston (I'm now based in
>>> Truro), but a regular thing would be good idea.
>>>
>>> Grant.
>>>
>>> --
>>>

> How much further is it from Helston to Lizard, than it is from Plymouth
> (cornwall side) to Paignton, or exeter to Paignton,  I am aware the
> roads are not that great in Cornwall, but anyone coming from exeter has
> kingskerswell to deal with, and anyone coming from plymouth would have
> Totnes to contend with,  but they still manage to get to meetings.

According to Google maps it's about 11 miles from Helston to Lizard and
from Saltash to Paignton it's about 32 miles.

> You Can NEVER please everyone,  the best thing to do is to find a venue
> that is easiest for the person organising the meet to get to,  at least
> then that person can make it,

To me, looking at Google maps I'd say probably Helston would be a good
place to hold a meeting.  It appears to be an average of around 13 miles
from Redruth, Falmouth, Hayle and Penzance.  Okay it'll be a bit further
for anyone at Lands End or maybe St Austell or Newquay but it's still
not THAT far.

What I found when I went on holiday to Hayle was that everything seemed
to be no more than 20 or 30 minutes drive away, it only took us about 2
hours to get down there.  I could understand more of members in North
Devon not wanting to go to a meeting in Paignton myself.
> I agree we should not fragment the list,  but that does not stop people
> who live near each other from perhaps working on ideas at a local level,
>   which is what myself, tom B and rob b are trying to do.

Yep I'm sure there are more of us who live nearby, for instance there
are a few of us who live in the Exeter and surrounding areas, a few in
North Devon, a few in Plymouth and near by.  There's nothing stopping
folks meeting up maybe one a month in a pub or something.
> if you all live near a community centre or similar then you can form or
> join a friends group,  as friends groups raise money for equipment etc,
>  so with your expertise and help from the lug you could for example help
> set up a computer suite,  or just one computer.
>
> Paul
That is a good idea.  I'm sure there are places near us all who would
possibly make use of a computer or two, even if it's an old computer
built out of spare parts from Freecycle.

Rob