Re: [LUG] email

Mick Vaites wrote:

> However as we're talking ISP backup MX or Smarthost - they cannot drop
> bounces on behalf of their customer as it might be needed genuinely.

Of course they can.  It's possible, and there are people who do it.  As
I said in my previous email though, that doesn't mean it's easy.

I'd bet, however, that if a customer with a primary MX who listed their
ISP's backup MX in their DNS just had the ISP give a 4xx error
immediately after the SMTP RCPT, just about no-one would notice a
difference with delivery of genuine email and there'd be less spam and
backscatter getting delivered.

James