Re: [LUG] email

I'm gobsmacked that you would advocate an ISP dropping a customers email
bounces but at the same time wouldn't advise a customer to do it themselves
- or am I not reading you right ?

Issuing a 4xx puts the responsibility back on the originator of the message
to resend the message which may not happen for some time. Whereas the backup
MX could have more friendly rules for it's customers on resending - and thus
reducing the delay in getting the email to the person.

I take your point about Spammers assuming they are the ones actually sending
them mail directly to the MX's. My understanding however is that more and
more spam gets sent via Bot's. Which uses a customers ISP's outbound smtp
server. We're seeing more and more customers being hit this way.

Reference your comments on secondary MX's -- since the advent of ADSL more
and more customers are using us as backup MX's or Smart hosts. Principally
because the RBL's are picking on the ADSL IP space more and more.

Best regards

Mick

E: mick@xxxxxxxxxxxx