Re: [LUG] Universal unzip

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:27:38 +0100, Ralph Smithen
<ralphsmithen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>2009/6/19 Simon Williams <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Is there a 'universal unzip' tool for linux somewhere? So I can do
>> 'uunzip foo.zip' or 'uunzip bar.tgz', etc, and it'll automatically work
>> out which program to call to decompress it.
>>
>> I could knock up a script to do this in 30 seconds, but I have no idea
>> what name to give it (uunzip is too clumsy to type)! And I was wondering
>> if there was a more conventional way of doing this. I almost expect to
>> find such a command on my system already.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>> Thanks.
>> Simon
>

>sudo apt-get install p7zip-full
>
>7z x <archive>
>
>any good?

I was looking at using 7zip at work to replace our old pkzip
programs ... but could use it to zip up things due to one major
regression - there is no move option :-( and I have lots of
scripts that go 'pkzip -m <foo>'

But we are using it to unzip stuff

Dave
--