Re: [LUG] ID this removable hard drive...

Rob Beard wrote:
> Dave Foxcroft wrote:
>
>> Rob Beard wrote:

>>> First thought was maybe it's some sort of MO disk but it doesn't look
>>> dark enough.  I had a hunch it is a SyQuest disk, and checking on
>>> Wikipedia it looks like it might be...
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EZ_135_Drive
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EZ135_Cart.jpg
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>

>> I thought it was some sort of MO drive - it isnt an EZ135 but a SyQuest
>> 88!  - 88MB jobbie
>>
>> Dave
>>

> Ahh those were the days, 88 Meg storage.  I still have an LS120 drive in
> the loft somewhere.  Takes me back a bit.  A place I used to work at had
> a mixture of ZIP, Jaz, MO (230 & 640MB), CDRW and eventually just before
> I left DVD-R.  I remember getting all excited when I installed their
> first 2.6GB DVD-RAM drive.
>
> Funnily enough too, I was swapping my dad's old Duron 750 into a brand
> new case today and showed my other half the hard drive.  A Seagate 3.2GB
> drive, cost me about £120 when I bought it I think.  I explained that it
> was a smaller capacity than the 4GB MicroSD card I have kicking around.
> Just think in another 10 years we'll probably look at old ancient 1TB
> hard drives and compare them to 4TB flash storage :-)
>
> Rob

oh how things have moved on....good ol' moores law :-)

I still have a load of old stuff kicking around here,  I hate throwing
working stuff away although I did skip several old compaq servers about
a year ago because the missus kept giving me earache about them - I
managed to keep one tho' - a proliant 7000 - 18 x 9.1GB SCSI drives & 4
GB of RAM - I think I'll keep it for the antiques roadshow or whatever -
it still works and makes one hell of a noise when it cranks up,  the
wife isn't impressed but  the kids love it!

Whilst I'm looking forward to bigger, more reliable storage I not
looking forward to managing all those backups - yep I have a load of
them as well going back over 20 years and I'm surprised at how many of
them I can still access!

Dave