Re: [LUG] Dansguardian

Austin Gossmeyer wrote:
> Dansguardian did not setup squid. Where did you find the copy that
> configured it automaticlly.  I do have blocklists already to go once
> the server is up and running. How would I create a link to redirect
> the files?
To create a link use the ln command.

For instance in the directory you want to create the linked file in type
the following...

ln -s /path/filename filename2

Where -s creates a static link so it redirects the filesystem to the
original file

/path/filename points to the original file which you are linking to (the
target).

filename2 is optional, you can give the link a different name if you wish.

If the target file doesn't exist you can create an empty file by using
the touch command...

touch /path/filename

If the file exists I believe it'll update the modified time on the file,
and if it doesn't create it, am empty file will be created.

However having a look at the dansguardian.conf file (in
/etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf on Ubuntu) there is an option where
you can change the name and location of the log file.  This is copied
directly from the config file...

# Log file location
#
# Defines the log directory and filename.
#loglocation = '/var/log/dansguardian/access.log'

So you can change the log location to say...

loglogcation = '/mnt/logfiles/dansguardian/access.log' or something similar.

The log file location of Squid can also be changed by editing the
/etc/squid3/squid.conf file.  You'd need to look for the line as follows:

access_log /var/log/squid3/access.log squid

Just change the /var/log/squid3/access.log to the location of where you
want the log file to go, for instance...

access_log /mnt/logfiles/squid3/access.log squid

When you have made the changes, restart Squid and Dansguardian by
entering the following commands (at least on Ubuntu, other distributions
may vary)...

invoke-rc.d squid restart
invoke-rc.d dansguardian restart

What distribution are you using?  I'll see if I can find some more
tailored instructions.

Ta,

Rob