Re: [LUG] Dansguardian

Austin Gossmeyer wrote:

> If my understanding of transparent proxies is correct (I had zero
> knowledge two weeks ago) it would grab all trafic including staff. So if
> it grabbed staff how could I seperate the traffic cause staff and
> students have seperate proxies at the isp.

Making it transparent requires control of where the packets are routed.

Typically you either put the proxy at a choke point, or direct the
traffic to the proxy using a router or firewall (which is itself a choke
point, or set of edge points).

When you put in the redirect rule to transparently use the proxy, you
can usually exempt certain IP addresses.

Alternatively you can force folks to authenticate to get proxy service,
and apply different rules to different user groups.

But this destroys the simplicity of a transparent proxy, ideally you
want transparent so things like routers doing firmware updates, or
Windows Update on visiting laptops "just works".

Given user management is hard work, I'd go for IP based if you can
distinguish staff from students that way.

Alternatively speak to management and see if there is anything the staff
should be allowed to do that the students shouldn't when using college
resources ;)