Re: [LUG] A video card? (Or two)

2009/6/8 Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Radeon HD 4870 X2 is a dual GPU card, i.e. two graphics chips on one
card (rather than using two graphics cards in cross-fire or SLI mode).
It's more for the gamers.  By the sounds of the motherboard I'd say it's
a server board?

It is.  Dell Poweredge 1800.
I could retire it upstairs to keep the loft warm, and run a desktop now though.  I'll have a look inside one of those.

You may find that this card may not physically fit.  Generally these
cards need an x16 slot (although each GPU runs in x8 mode).

Yep, slot is a small one.  The G550 is 8x and fills it.

Looking around this NVidia Quatro card seems like it will do the job and
it uses a x1 PCI-E slot (you can fit a x1 or x4 card in an x8 or x16 slot):

*http://tinyurl.com/ltd4ur

It's about £120 and according to the information it will run two
monitors... "*Two VGA connectors, via the included DMS-59 to dual VGA
adaptor cable, offer outstanding image quality at resolutions up to 2048
x 1536 at 85Hz."
*

That looks good.  I also like the passive cooling.
It'd need the DMS-59 to 2*DVI adapter cable, but that is a small matter.

Or you can pick up the same card from eBuyer.com for a tenner cheaper
and you get free delivery within 5 days too (although
from experience, most of the time if you order something on their free
delivery it usually turns up within 2 working days) -
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145351

Thanks.

--
Adrian Midgley   http://www.defoam.net/