[LUG] A video card? (Or two)

My Matrox G550 twin head card is unable to drive some modern screens,
and I think doesn't have the picture=processing power I'd like, it lags.

What is a good card to put in, not for fast video or gaming or augmented
reality or anything complicated, just to edit photos in the gimp and do
general purplose computing?

The machine has an ATI chipset built in which also knows nothing of the
1680x1050 resolution I want to use.

Ideally I'd like to run two of them, and the slots available are PCI
Express (PCI-E 8 lane) and PC164 66MHz PCI132 33MHz and PCI-X 100MHz

(I suppose there must be some way of putting an adapter into one of
those slots and then plugging two of something into that, but that may
be more trouble than I want.)