Re: [LUG] Im moving back to windows

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 10:25:11 +0100
Paul Sutton wrote:

> I think you make a valid argument here and its backed up by a real
> world example.
>
> I have to say that instaling the nvidia drivers on Ubuntu 8.10 was
> pretty easy, and enabling / disabling them can be done in a few
> clicks,
>
> My Jaunty box however is runing an MX 420 card, and is stuck at
> 640x480, so I have enabled panning, if I then connect using remote
> desktop it actually displays the whole desktop on the other screen so
> there is no panning (move mouse over screen border to display more
> desktop) involved.
>
> I tried to install a geforce 5200 the other day on my current 8.10
> box, and had a few issues, but at no point was a dropped to a command
> line. I need to have another look at it.
>
> Paul

I have a GeForce 2 MX400 (or something like that) in my (currently
dead) desktop at home.  Although nVidia drivers are handled relatively
well by Ubuntu, that doesn't seem to include the "old" cards.  No
matter what I do Ubuntu still tries to install the "newer" drivers on
there when I try to enable "desktop effects" (Compiz Fusion).

In the end I gave up - Compiz is fun, but not all that useful - and
just went for the nv drivers instead (nv rather than nVidia's own
nvidia). Curious that Ubuntu didn't detect it as an nVidia card and use
the nv drivers but plumped for vesa - once I apt-got the nv drivers and
edited xorg.conf appropriately all was well.

Grantedly this would most likely be beyond most new Ubuntu users, but
then would they be using such old kit?

Grant.