Re: [LUG] DNS Servers and Test server

On Tuesday 02 June 2009 18:06, Brown Richard wrote:
> Hi Dave

> >> That is it. macace.net.
> >
> > I only asked as I recall them being mentioned in a conversation about
> > data centres in Cornwall and IIRC, they were mentioned as resellers (I
> > did a whois lookup and they do show as ENTA customers).
> >
> > Maybe they have moved up in the world, interestingly, I google mapped
> > the contact address and it shows up as a unit near ASDA - not that
> > Google is accurate but I cant help wonder if that *IS* where their
> > data
> > centre is then what kind of connection they have from there to where
> > ENTA's kit is housed - I can't see it being fibre!
> >
> > Mac mini, hmmm now there is an interesting choice of server platform
> > and
> > not one you will see many hosting companies offering. I'm not saying
> > there is any thing wrong with it just that it isn't exactly the first
> > choice that springs to mind when considering server hosting :)
>
> That is exactly where it is hosted. In the new business park recently
> built there. They are building a datacentre with 32Mbit of bandwidth
> with 100Mbit coming in the next 6 months or so. To be honest I'm just
> happy there is a start - a datacentre in Cornwall. I believe the next
> public one is in Bristol (apart from one possibly in Exeter university).
Its very important to consider how many high speed feeds are available.
Its no good having 100Mb and one idiot with a digger.
You need a minimum of 2 independent feeds with the ability to switch within an
hour to call yourself a data centre.
I've always thought 3 geographically independent locations configured as one
was a minimum.
Tom te tom te tom