Re: [LUG] DNS Servers and Test server

Simon Waters wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> From experience
>> DNS seems to be rather complicated and easy to screw up if you don't
>> know what you're doing.
>>

> DNS is relatively simple - at least if you stay away from dynamically
> updating it, and the mysteries of DNSSEC (which most people do for
> better or worse).
>
> On the other hand it definitely is very easy to screw up, and you want
> DNS servers at diverse locations (or you will do as soon as you start to
> grow), so delegate it to the people who supply your domain name.
>
> Also before buying from someone check they have diverse name servers in
> use.
>
> I get pissed off when users ring up, and it becomes very apparent they
> bought their domain from some cheap skate outfit that has "2" (?) DNS
> servers with sequential IP addresses running MS DNS, and are surprised
> when their website and email both disappear suddenly for short periods.
>
>   Simon

I had one recently, a client of mine, who will remain nameless had
problems with their domain.  It turns out no one bothered to update the
credit card details with the registrar so when it came to renewing the
domain it wouldn't go through and two weeks later they fell off the
net.  Of course this happened over a weekend so come Monday morning I
get them calling and panicking to say the web site is down and they
aren't getting any e-mails.  As the domain was sorted out by their head
office (well it's kind of a head office, the guys there were responsible
for the web site) I was pretty much powerless to do anything (apart from
find it highly amusing).  Luckily withob a bit of DynDNS magic I managed
to at least get them a working e-mail address to give out to important
people until they were back on (IIRC they were off for the best part of
the whole day).

Rob