Re: [LUG] DNS Servers and Test server

Hi Rich,

Is it your home connection and do you have a dynamic IP address? If it
is dynamic and if your router supports it, you can resolve a hostname to
your IP by using DynDNS.com. I use them all the time, your router will
tell DynDNS when/if your ip changes. Though I'm not sure how useful it
is if you intend to run multipal sites.

As for security, you will need to allow a couple of ports to be open on
your firewall at the very least, 80 for normal web traffic and 443 for
https. It depends what other services you intend to run on the server.
You can use nmap to port scan your IP address, it's in all the repo's
for Linux and there is a Windows binary available too:
http://nmap.org/download.html

If you are interested in hosting your websites in an actual data centre
I can offer you webspace, email chris 'at' openxs.co.uk and I'll set up
an account you can try out, they come with unlimited everything (within
reason).

Here is a quick port scan of the IP address you supplied.

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-06-02 10:21 BST
Interesting ports on 87-127-140-184.static.enta.net (87.127.140.184):
Not shown: 972 closed ports
PORT      STATE SERVICE
21/tcp    open  ftp
22/tcp    open  ssh
25/tcp    open  smtp
53/tcp    open  domain
80/tcp    open  http
88/tcp    open  kerberos-sec
106/tcp   open  pop3pw
110/tcp   open  pop3
139/tcp   open  netbios-ssn
143/tcp   open  imap
311/tcp   open  asip-webadmin
389/tcp   open  ldap
445/tcp   open  microsoft-ds
515/tcp   open  printer
548/tcp   open  afp
625/tcp   open  apple-xsrvr-admin
631/tcp   open  ipp
749/tcp   open  kerberos-adm
2002/tcp  open  globe
3659/tcp  open  unknown
5222/tcp  open  unknown
5269/tcp  open  unknown
5900/tcp  open  vnc
7777/tcp  open  unknown
8008/tcp  open  unknown
8086/tcp  open  unknown
8087/tcp  open  unknown
10000/tcp open  snet-sensor-mgmt

As you can see, there are a few services that could probably be shut
down for a webserver.

Regards,

Chris