Re: [LUG] Giving away copies of Ubuntu & OpenDisc on Freecycle

Simon Robert wrote:
> If a windows key is needed can't one just wander into PC world and copy
> one from the side of a PC? It won't impact on whoever ends up buying the
> PC, I've used the key from the side of an old XP box several times. It
> always passes the "genuine advantage" test.

Nope because these keys no longer work.  Believe it or not, you have to
use a specific installation disc which is BIOS locked to the PC (or at
least to the manufacturer of the PC).  I had this issue with a standard
OEM disc on my other half's IBM laptop.  I could install XP Home but the
license key wasn't accepted.  However after adding the OEM files to the
disc I was able to make an IBM Windows XP Home installation disc which
did work which in turn didn't ask for a license key.

I think the only way you'd be able to get away with it would be with an
OEM sticker from a smaller system builder which also uses BIOS locked
discs but a valid key.  I had this on a system once, the BIOS was locked
into the installation of Windows but on updating the BIOS on the
motherboard it lost the codes which enabled the BIOS lock.  Fortunately
in this case the OEM key on the case wasn't pre-activated and did work.

I think in a way it's Microsoft's way of trying to cut down on piracy
and screw over the customer at the same time.  It is possible to get
around, for instance it is possible to get backed BIOS images for
various motherboards so they can be used with Dell/HP/Asus etc copies of
XP and Vista and pass the Genuine Windows check.  (A google search for
SLIC BIOS will probably throw up something or other on the subject).

Rob