Re: [LUG] IMAP synchronisation?

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:27:42 +0100
Grant Sewell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to synchronise an Exchange server (with IMAP enabled)
> with a Dovecot IMAP server.
>
> I have discovered the "imapsync" tool and things seem to be OKish, but
> with one potentially huge problem.  Essentially my script loops over a
> list of usernames and passwords (in clear text, of course... security
> isn't a dirty word, BlackAdder...) and synchronises the Exchange IMAP
> and Dovecot IMAP nicely... however, although it seems to
> delete/expunge the messages (ie the deleted messaged do *not* appear
> in the Inbox), they seem to be retained.
>
> For example, one user (a new user) has only 5 messages on their
> Exchange account.  After IMAPSyncing, Dovecot has 5 messages.  After a
> second round of IMAPSyncing, Exchange = 5, Dovecot = 10; next Exchange
> = 5, Dovecot = 15... :-|
>
> My script is invoked as:
> exchange-to-dovecot.awk list-of-accounts >> logfile 2>/dev/null
>
> list-of-accounts contains entries in this manner:
> NAMEPASS: username1 password1 username2 password2
>
> The script itself is:
> #!/usr/bin/awk -f
> BEGIN {
>   print system("date")
>   print "--------------------"
> }
> {
>     FS=":"
> }
> /NAMEPASS/ {
>   print $2 " " $3 " " $4 " " $5
>   system("imapsync \
>   --syncinternaldates \
>   --host1 server1 --user1 "$2" --password1 "$3" --noauthmd5 --ssl1 \
>   --host2 server2 --user2 "$4" --password2 "$5" --noauthmd5 --ssl2 \
>   --delete2")
>   print "--------------------"
> }
>
> Now, I am *guessing* that my problem is caused by Exchange since I
> have attempted this synchronisation between 2 Dovecot servers and
> didn't (seem) to get this problem.
>
> For users with only a few emails, this would take quite a while to
> cause issues, however at least one of the users (who is not yet on the
> Exchange server... still pulls her emails down via POP3 onto her local
> machine) has around 4GB of mail already.  Clearly if her mail gets
> duplicated in this manner, my virtual server will run out of virtual
> space very quickly!
>
> Anybody got any thoughts?  (And no, getting rid of Exchange/SBS2008 is
> not an option, much as I would love it to be.)
>
> Cheers.
> Grant. :)

Ok, I've tried a number of different imap syncing tools now, and they
all seem to exhibit the same problem, which would suggest very strongly
that the issue is definitely caused by Exchange 2007.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to resolve this, short of forcibly
removing the Dovecot mailbox prior to synchronisation?!

Cheers.
Grant.