Re: [LUG] New computer: RAM, CPU

Max Siegieda wrote:
> The only problem then comes with overclocking, not a concern of the
> average user, however AMD chips are known to overclock abysmally,
> gaining maybe 200-500mhz on stock speeds. Intel CPUs are known to
> overclock like stink. Whether this applies to the AMD CPUs in question
> I do not know, that's a simple job of finding reviews.
The debate on overclocking falls (generally) into two camps - do you
want stability or speed?  You *can* overclock anything you like, but at
some point you'll sacrifice stability.  My (OK now old) AthlonXP 2400+
has a stock speed of 1.6Ghz and I have it running at 2.18.  Over that
starts to get unstable.  The key element I find though is to make sure
the RAM and CPU speeds are in sync or it will crash all over the place.

Kind regards,

Julian