Re: [LUG] Devolo

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Tom Potts wrote:

>> From my faded memory of old style meters (no idea what they do today) you'd be
> lucky to push anything over a few hundred hertz through them. They would
> effectively be a very effective filter of all ethernetty stuff. If you owned
> 'the other side of the meter' - ie in a case of submetering off one that was
> connected to the grid then it should be possible to put some high-pass
> filters around the internal meters to allow networking over them.

I was involved briefly with some ether over power stuff some time back -
back when it was all quite new, so... And yes, we found meters effectively
blocked the signals - but this was old style meters with coils and wheels,
so maybe new meters are different. Those filtered mains extension sockets
were good blockers too.

So we went with wi-fi bridges for this application in the end (it was
bedsits with individual meters)...

And a Wi-Fi bridge is what I'd still recomend for Kevins application. Much
less faffing about with plugs, sockets, ethernet cables and so-on.

Gordon