Re: [LUG] OT: SW MP Allowances Spreadsheet

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Henry Bremridge wrote:

> - WHY do the MPs have to visit Westminster? Why not have some decent
>  fibre-optics cables and set up good video-conferencing facilities.
>  Voting can be electronic. At least a side effect would be improving
>  communications infrastructure for others.

You know what - I do the whole "work from home" and promote it, even have
(and sell) video phones and VoIP based phone system to let you take your
phone home, and have a colleague who does the big video conferencing
thing, but what I've found is that there really isn't a substitute for
actually getting together - however you don't need to do it every day, so
maybe there's a compromise to be had.

However it's shades of that Stalone film where the "councillors" were
represtented by LCD panels on top of the chairs - imagine the HoC full of
LCD panels and a webcam in each seat ..

Actually ...

And as far as electonic voting goes - the biggest problem there is that
the public and those who know have lost confidence it in - mostly due to
the companies who made the kit (Diebold
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diebold ) using sloppy programming
techniques, closed-source platforms which can't even count and alledged
bribery...)

I think it'll be a long time before another electronic voting platform
goes mainstream )-:

Gordon