Re: [LUG] OT: SW MP Allowances Spreadsheet

I've been thinking about the travel problem for a while, before the
expenses issue came up. I work every other week in Porstmouth. I could
rent a place to stay, but I can only claim for the days I'm actually
there, and then I only get the tax back (ie. the cost is tax deductible
for 5/14 of the time). But I digress.

My rail fair is around £50. It is normally £65 return to London. The
trains, particularly coming back on a Friday are always full beyond
capacity, often with people standing all the way from Paddington to
Exeter. We have the most expensive railways in Europe and the worst.

I suspect that many MPs travel to London on the train. It always struck
me that if MPs paid their fares out of their own pocket, that the over
priced fares would start to come down. I expect that they all travel
first class, which I'm sure is very comfy. They won't have to book ahead
as the tax payer will pay whatever it costs, so they may be on tickets
that cost hundreds of pounds. If you've every wondered who pays the
ridiculous top rate ticket prices, the answer is "people who don't have
to pay for the tickets themselves".

These figures don't give a breakdown of what the travel costs are spent
on. But, booking ahead, at £65 return per week, Plymouth - Paddington
would be something like £3,200 per year. The figures we see here are at
least 4 times that.

When questioned about the sky-high prices, MPs and their friends the
privatised rail companies always say that you can get really good deals
if you book ahead. But clearly they don't. I can't always either. I was
ill last year and had to cancel a week away at the last minute. But can
I claim the cost of the unused ticket (just the tax, you understand). No.

Perhaps one day MPs will follow the same rules that they apply to us,
the mugs who pay their wages.