[LUG] Accessing C: drive from Jaunty

Greetings from a chronic lurker -

I recently converted an XP box to dual-boot with Jaunty, after which any attempt to boot into Windows abort saying "file \system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt". Google reveals a thread in Ubuntu Forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7279426#post7279426) which fits the case:

"...as you installed Ubuntu, ... the actual partition location of the windows boot disk has moved. Thus the windows boot loader cannot find hal.dll on the right hard drive partition... One cool thing to think about here is that grub, the Linux boot loader is working and knows where the windows boot partition is... the way to fix this problem is to boot up into Linux, 7.10 or better and this product automounts the various windows partitions... open a terminal and you will find these various hard drive partitions in the directory /media. One of these will have a lot of "window dressing", say for instance, a directory called Windows or WINDOWS (depends :^). In the root of this directory you will find a file called boot.ini..."[the writer describes remedial steps]

So after years as a GUI-only Ubuntero, I plunged into a terminal and was promptly stumped by:
"/media$ vdir
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    6 2009-05-04 15:51 cdrom -> cdrom0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-05-04 15:51 cdrom0"

I posted a request there for help in locating the directory but to date have had no response. Hence I am repeating it here.

Thanks in anticipation

Michael Graaf