[LUG] Fonts in Ubuntu/Kubuntu 9.04

Hi

Since implementing the latest updates to Ubuntu 9.04, the system fonts
appear to be of very poor resolution and highly aliased, making them
very difficult to read. Whatever fonts I choose through control centre,
the displayed font does not change. However, the fonts are fine when I
am running a root application (such as Synaptic or Software Sources). I
assume that the root applications are picking up a different
configuration.

I would be very grateful for any ideas on how I can cure this. I can
provide additional information (such as what was updated) if you can let
me know where to find it. I can't find anything yet about the problem on
Ubuntu Forums.

Many thanks

Phil Whateley