Re: [LUG] Standard Project API?

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 12:32, Simon Waters wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > I've been playing with the latest FF3.5beta and Firebug1.4b27 and its is
> > now a lively programming environment for HTML/CSS/Javascript.
> > Theres a plugin called Firediff which shows differences between 'source'
> > code (from the server) and client code (like what you and possibly JS
> > have created).
> > It seems to me that its a small conceptual step to turn this into a
> > project management (ie save my changes to the server) tool.
> > Anyone know of any already existing API's (not just webdav or svn) for
> > this sort of thing that might be worth considering?
>
> Urm, this is fairly similar to what we do with web pages at work.
>
> We do an online web page editor (350.com) in AJAX (or is that AJAJSON),
> where we just send the ID of the element on the page that was changed,
> and details of the change via JSON request, and keep the server and
> client view of the page in sync.
>
> In our case we obviously keep the syncing small, and frequent.
>
> But I'm not sure what you are driving at that is different from the
> typical AJAX development model. Or do you mean version control rather
> than project management?
I'd like to be able to create/delete/rename pages as well. Theres no need to
be tight with bandwidth so whole page updates are OK. FF/FB have 99% of what
I need for client side and I wanted to see if there was any kind of standard
for 'projects' that could be interfaced with.
Have you had a chance to play with ff3.5b? The javascript speedup is quite
incredible. I just hope people take the opportunity to start designing client
side components for full blown client site web design.
I think with a bit of JS and possibly SVG  visual designers are a real
possibility. But with luck people will think "I don't need to design for
anything other than FF and I can get on with work and not compatability!"
We're not far from ditching the desktop - you got FF3.5 you can do your work
anywhere!
Tom te tom te tom